Establishing a business in Lithuania is quick and straightforward. Here's an e-guide to the kinds of companies on offer. Once you've chosen the kind of company you want, follow these six steps to get your operations up and running. If you have an electronic signature, you can pass 2nd and 5th steps!
Register your business in only 1 day with electronic signature!
First of all, you have to make sure your company has a proper Legal name. Thus, you should reserve the name in the Register of Legal Entities. You need to submit a JAR-5 application (translation attached). Your selected name shall be reserved and kept for you for 6 months, so you could take care of all other steps to establish a company. After submitting the application, you will get a confirmation of your reservation.
It is required to prepare a company establishment document, which contains such information as articles of incorporation (describing company‘s activities, type of management, and its competences, and the protocol of Constituent Meeting of Shareholders).
Make sure to get the permission of the owner of the premises to use it as an official place to register your business activities to.
Depending on the type of company, you might need to open a bank account for the company and transfer the required amount of money there (2,500 – 40,000 EUR). After that the bank would provide a statement of required capital being transferred to your company‘s bank account.
You are required to have all of the documents above approved by the Notary, including but not limited to establishment documents, a certificate of name reservation, the consent of the owner of the premises to use the address as your legal address, and a bank statement.
After providing all the documents approved by the Notary, the Centre of Registers will officially register your company.
Where should I apply for a licence/business permit?
Klaipėda city municipality has a dedicated One Stop and E-Commerce department where you can apply for business licences and address any issues related to acquiring a permit for your business.
To contact them, you can either write an email to email@example.com or call +370 46 396172 /+370 46 396120. Or you can visit them in person at Liepų str. 11, Klaipėda (rooms 114 & 116), where they will provide you with any information you may need.
If you still have questions or require further information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do I get permission to use add external advertisement to buildings, billboards or both?
a) Agree on the outdoor advertisement project with an advertising designer (a list of them can be found under Useful Links).
b) If you want to have your advertisement on a building and you are NOT the owner of the building:
I. If you plan to put your advertisement on an apartment building, you will need to get the agreement of 50%+1 of apartment owners.
ii. If you plan to put your advertisement on any other type of building, you will need to get the agreement of the owner of the building.
If you ARE the owner of the building, proceed to c)
c) Deliver (physically or by post) a filled-in Application for Authorization of External Advertisement to the One Stop and E-Commerce department of Klaipeda municipality (Liepų str. 11, Klaipėda, rooms 114 & 116) or send an email to email@example.com all of the additional documents required: Application Project (2 copies), digital version (2 copies):
- situation plan;
- topographic photograph (not older than one year) (not required if outdoor advertising is installed on buildings or special vehicles);
- explanatory note;
- photographs of the object on which the external advertisement is to be installed (photo facing territories, buildings, facades of buildings, existing advertising signs, shop windows, adjacencies, etc.);
- facade or territory view with integrated external advertising (facade - indicate the place of the sign, distances, gauges, existing configurations, showcases, facade management, color decision, territory);
- outline the advertising with measurements, a topographic plan of the territory and underground networks in the territory plan (not more than one year old), solutions for territory management such as coatings, lighting, etc.);
- exterior advertising details (measurements, materials, content, color solution);
- structures (fastening units, finishing elements, details, etc.);
- lighting (lighting fixtures, mountings, night view, etc.);
- a certified copy of the trade mark registration certificate if the mark is registered (intended for use in outdoor advertising);
- proof that the project has been approved (signed by the project manager, designers and owners or co-owners);
- data regarding the subject of the advertising activity (the correct data of the outsourcing client, the designer, the manufacturer, the advertiser);
- proof of the right to use an object on which an external advertisement (building, structure, territory, etc.) is installed, plus certified copies of these documents;
- a copy of the contract between the client and the designer (for the preparation of the advertising project).
d) After the municipality authorizes the request, you have to pay an authorization fee, which is set for each case separately. The fee should not exceed €29 EUR for 5 years.
What should I do if I want to expand my business to temporary buildings, such as kiosks, outdoor cafes, and external service areas to stationary catering establishments?
a) Deliver (in person or by post) a filled-in application to the One Stop and E-Commerce department of Klaipeda municipality (Liepų str. 11, Klaipėda, rooms 114 & 116) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org all of the required documents;
b) Provide any additional supporting documents required (these document vary and depend on your business activity; exact requirements are given by the responsible department in Klaipėda city municipality);
c) After the municipality authorizes the request, you have to pay an authorization fee, which is set for each case separately.
What should I do if I want to sell alcoholic beverages and (or) tobacco products?
a) Deliver (in person or by post) a filled-in application to the One Stop and E-Commerce department of Klaipeda municipality (Liepų str. 11, Klaipėda, rooms 114 & 116) or send an email to email@example.com all of the supplementary documents:
b) If you are applying for:
i. A Tobacco licence, please check "c)";
ii. An Alcohol licence, you will also need to provide the following documents:
- a copy of the registration certificate of the company, certified by the signature of the head of the company and with a company stamp (if the company has it);
- if you plan to have a sales point in an apartment house, you need to get the agreement of 50%+1 of apartment owners (approval is not needed if during the last calendar year a seller of alcoholic beverages also operated in this building at the same working hours and no complaints were received regarding this activity);
- a copy of the legal registration of the building (premises) in which the sale of alcoholic beverages will be carried out, certified by the signature of the head of the company and the seal (if the company is required to have it);
- the lease of premises, if the premises lease is concluded for up to one year. If the contract is concluded for more than one year, the contract is registered at the Center of Registers;
- proof that the point of sale is at least 50 metres from any imprisonment, military and paramilitary service, police or other statutory, health care, educational institutions and prayer houses. This is based on the calculated closest route from the entrance of the trade or catering company to the entrance to the above-mentioned institutions, according to road traffic rules.
c) After the municipality approves the application, you then have to pay a licence fee (for alcohol it is €490, while for tobacco it is €190).
What should I do if I want to get a permit to provide services or sell goods outside during various events?
a) Deliver (in person or by post) a filled-in application to the One Stop and E-Commerce department of Klaipeda municipality (Liepų str. 11, Klaipėda, rooms 114 & 116) or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org all of the supplementary documents required:
- Power of Attorney if the application and documents are signed and submitted by an authorized person;
- the event organizer's agreement;
- a copy of the company's registration certificate, individual activity certificate or business license for the respective activity. If the agricultural and / or food products are traded, a copy of the farmer's certificate or document confirming the ownership or use of the land;
- a certificate of approval of the food business operator if it is required by law;
The permit to trade or provide services during celebrations and mass events is issued only for the duration of the festival or mass event. The minimum area of a trade or service venue at a festive or mass event is 4 m2.
A permit for the sale or provision of services is not issued during celebrations or mass events organized by the state or municipality, or owned or controlled by right of trust, unless the company provides public catering services and sells alcoholic beverages.
b) After the municipality authorizes the request, you have to pay an authorization fee (this varies depending on the size of the service providing area).
Check out Invest Lithuania's great guide for helping you manage your costs. In it you'll find info about average overhead costs and Lithuanian taxes.