If you are a non-EU citizen you’ll need to go through 3 steps before you start working:

  1. Get a Shengen Visa
  2. Apply for an EU Blue Card
  3. Formalise the EU Blue Card

Get Shengen Visa

A Schengen visa allows to stay in Li 90 days. These days need to be utilised within a 180-day period. A Schengen visa is relatively easy and quick to get. You will need:

  1. A passport, issued within the last 10 years and valid for 3 months longer than the duration of the visa and containing at least 2 blank pages.
  2. Medical insurance.
  3. Proof of your means of subsistence. 
  4. A document indicating the purpose of your visit. The type of document will vary depending on the purpose of your stay.
  5. A document indicating your place of residence during your visit or proving that you have sufficient means to pay for accommodation.
  6. Confirmation regarding whether you intend to leave Lithuania before the visa expires.
  7. A completed application form, which can be found here:
  8. An invitation letter (optional): to facilitate the application process, you may wish to provide an invitation letter issued by your employer or business partner.

Apply for an EU Blue Card

What is an EU Blue Card?

  • A residence and work permit that’s specifically designed for highly-skilled non-EU citizens.
  • It is valid for up to 3 years and can be extended for up to 3 years.
  • It gives you the right to bring family members.
  • It gives you the right to apply for permanent residency after 5 years.

Here’s what you need to get an EU Blue Card*:

  • Completed application form and photo (40x60) matching age
  • Passport.
  • Employment contract or commitment to employment specifying your salary and position, and a mediation letter. The length of the contract has to be no less than 1 year. Police clearance certificate(s) from the relevant authorities where you last resided (within 2 years for at least 6 months before applying for an EU Blue Card).
  • University diploma or a document certifying five years of professional experience of a level comparable to higher education qualifications and which is relevant in the profession or sector specified in the work contract or binding job offer (issued by the Ministry of Economy).
  • A confirmed list of the foreign states in which you have resided in or visited (within 10 years before applying for an EU Blue Card).
  • Notarized consent from the owner of the residence in Lithuania where you will temporarily reside.
  • Health insurance.You will need to submit the necessary
    documents to the Migration department. It will take from 15 days (fast track) to 1 month (standard) to verify your documents. 

Formalise the EU Blue Card

When you receive confirmation from the Migration Department that your Blue Card application has been successful, you will then need to formalise your Blue card. To apply for formalisation you will need:

  • A completed application form.
  • A passport (this should be valid for at least 3 months longer than the length of the Blue Card).
  • A Schengen visa (C).You will need to submit the necessary documents to the Migration department.

The application process will then take from 5 days (fast track) to 10 days(standard). A standard application costs 28 € and a fast track application costs 56 €. Your child’s education will be in safe hands in Lithuania’s multi-lingual, international education system. From kindergarten all the way to university, your child will have access to high-quality facilities and contemporary European educational models.

Source: Invest Lithuania Relocation Guide

Need more information?

Contact us

Choose from these leading global companies