– these are Klaipeda's economic ambitions, all to be realised by 2030.
These goals are all set down in the Klaipeda City Economic Development Strategy which was created and will be implemented by a joint team of the Klaipeda City Municipality, the Port of Klaipeda, Klaipeda University, Klaipeda Free Economic Zone, the Association of Klaipeda's Industrialists, and Klaipeda Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Crafts. Over 100 experts in city development, science, port development, business and other sectors were involved in building the strategy. Klaipeda is focused on growth in the blue economy and becoming a modern city synonymous with fast decision making. The Klaipeda 2030 strategy sets out four priority sectors that will be key for the growth of Klaipeda: the marine economy, the bioeconomy, the industry 4.0 economy, and the creative industries and services economy. A panel of partners, experts and consultants is now working on a strategy implementation plan that is due to be unveiled in 2018.
In 2030 Klaipėda will be known as a city of blue growth, and the most attractive place to live, work, make investments and enjoy leisure time in the Baltic sea region.
This vision is a binding promise to Klaipėda citizens, businesses, investors and tourists, stating that we will seek high living standards and sustainable knowledge-based economic growth by strengthening our marine identity. In order to make this vision a reality, we will implement the strategy of Klaipėda's economic breakthrough for 2030, which features maritime, biotechnological, creative and services-related growth, as well as priority directions that we must invest into to create conditions for economic growth.
In order to achieve sustainable blue growth:
1. We will practice sustainable use of the sea and the coast. In 2030:
- Klaipėda will feature a modern, developed and environmentally-friendly complex of transport, logistics and industry, processing at least 15 per cent of the cargo on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea. Along Melnragė there will be a mixed-use outer deepwater port to satisfy both the city's and the port's needs.
- There will be a developed LNG cluster, which will help Klaipėda become a centre of LNG technology and distribution in the Baltic region. This cluster will develop and commercialise clean LNG-related technology.
- Klaipėda's resorts – Smiltynė and Giruliai – will offer exceptional recreation, featuring sea views and wellness centres. Giruliai will offer geothermal SPA treatments, while Smiltynė and Klaipėda will be connected by an additional ferry line. There will also be several small ports on Dangė river, the Curonian Lagoon and Smiltynė. The southern shore of Klaipėda lagoon and Wilhelm's Channel will be used for recreational purposes. There will also be a daily ferry from Klaipėda to Gdansk.
- Klaipėda will have the best infrastructure for sports and active tourism in Lithuania, featuring the best bicycle trails and bicycle sharing infrastructure, skating yards, as well as infrastructure for wakeboards and other active water sports.
2. We will develop and implement bio and clean technological solutions. In 2030:
- There will be a developed newly-established bioeconomic cluster, uniting the region's chemical and wood industry, as well as other bioeconomic companies and scientific institutions from Klaipėda, etc. Klaipėda will produce bioproducts that have little negative impact on the environment, as well as develop and apply waste management and recycling technology.
- Klaipėda's scientific institutions will actively participate at the blue technology research programmes of the Baltic Sea, this technology will be successfully applied in the development of the region's aquaculture together with Klaipėda's businesses.
- Klaipėda will become the leading Lithuanian region in the field of renewable energy use and production, especially in the development of production in the open sea, the depths of the earth and using the biomass.
3. We will become a centre of Industry 4.0 competencies. In 2030:
- Klaipėda will feature an automated centre for solution development competencies, in cooperation with global leading companies. Highly competent small and medium-sized businesses will create automation solutions for industrial, logistics and transport sectors.
- Klaipėda FEZ and southern industrial territories will host producers of electric equipment, autonomic systems, robots and robotic equipment, creating high added value. Klaipėda will also have a developed industry, related to the use of LNG technology, featuring the production of the first LNG locomotive in Lithuania.
4. We will also offer digital art and professional services. In 2030:
- Klaipėda will feature dozens of business service centres Scandinavian, German, etc. logistics and industrial companies, especially focused on the fields of engineering, technology and IT.
- The city centre will feature a quarter of creative industries, featuring cooperation premises and places for young artists, designers and programmers.
- Klaipėda will be particularly strong in adapting creative industries industry, resulting digital solutions for local and foreign industrial companies.
- Klaipėda will have a well-developed business tourism and host thematic international events. The city will become famous as a summer office for Lithuanian and foreign business representatives, who want to combine their work with active and healthy recreation activities.
Need more information?